Enjoy my Blog
- Duane

Tuesday, July 16, 2013

This is only the beginning



Yesterday I completed my journey officially.  I road into Oak Harbor Washington with a big smile on my face.  I accomplished my goal - NY to WA in 16 days.  I have over 56,000 photos to review to document my journey.  My new goal is to compete a 30 min documentary of my trip within six months.   I also would like to do it again in 2026 with my son Matthew, who will be 21 then and we can travel the continent together.  Maybe even take a trip to Alaska. 

I packed my bags for the last time at Charlie and Bridget's this morning,  then headed to Tacoma to drop off my bike. Now I sit in the terminal at SEA-TAC awaiting my 10:15pm red-eye to Philly with a three hour layover before heading to Newburgh, NY.  With the exception of one minor flat and a tiny case of hypothermia,  I made may the voyage without any incidents.

I met so many great folks along the way,  had some great conversations,  learn a lot about how most people on the road will help out a stranger if you just ask, which restored my trust in the human race - who for the most part, are good decent people.

I have met 67% of my goal for JDRF and will work on raising the remaining $1,700 I commeted to  raise.  Like I said,  the journey has only begun.

Over the new few weeks I hope to post a number of my photos and make some of the best ones available for sale on my photo website to continue to raise funds for JDRF.  

A big thanks to Steve at JDRF for helping me out,  getting me the stickers and shirts,  and allowing me to make this journey more then just about me.

I was surprised at how many people I met on the road were interested in what I was doing and accepted my card and pledged to make a donation.  I also met families that were just starting their journey with a friend, relative or child that was recently diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes,  a journey that will be much harder then mine,  but with the help from the folks at JDRF and the research they are doing will enjoy a long and rewarding life.

Thank you all for your support, especially Angela, Miranda and Matthew who were not thrilled that I would be on the road for so long with only two wheels.

If you have not done so,  please take a moment to make a pledge and help me reach my goal of $5000 for JDRF.  If everyone I met of the road gave just $5.00,  I would more then reach my goal.

I have many more folks to thank,  but need to take a moment to make sure I don't leave anyone out.  So sitting in the airport is not the best place to start that list.

Please check back often as I will continue to update this blog and fill in the number of gaps from days I was unable to get internet service.

See ya all soon,
Duane

No comments:

Post a Comment