Enjoy my Blog
- Duane

Friday, July 12, 2013

Sometimes you have to learn the hard way -


  • Yesterday was such a nice day I stripped down the bike and headed into Yellowstone. The bike is so much more fun without being weighted down. I spent the day in the park, saw a number of sights and then around 6:00pm it started to rain. I had to start heading back to my hotel in Cody since it would be getting cold and windy in the rain.

    Just one more stop at the Yellowstone Grand Canon, that's all.. just a few more pictures.

    That was the beginning of a disaster. I took one to many pictures and it got cold, wet and dark. I still had 90 miles to go, and I was only going 25mph due to the rain, it was dark and I was freezing. After two hours I made it to the park east exit. I still had 52 miles to go and everything hurt since I was so cold. Afraid of bears, I parked at the entrance to the park under some lights. My jacket and paints only being mesh did nothing to stop the cold getting to my bones. It was now below 40 and raining. I stopped a camper rolling by and got a trash bag to put over me. That was little help. With 50+ miles to go, a mountain to cross at 8300 feet I was doing all I could to not freeze to death. I came up on a set of cabins and a bar, walked in, did not even have to say a word. It was obvious, I needed a place to stay. The bar tender hooked me up with cabin 22 and I was safe from freezing.

    Moral of the story, always carry rain gear.

    This morning I got up early, rode back to my hotel, took a HOT shower and got something to eat. Think it is going to be a short day today.

    Duane
    Lots of pictures and video to come - check back.


























No comments:

Post a Comment